Assignment 1: Discussion—Compliance and Ethics in Risk Management
During the past couple of decades there have been high profile cases of corporate scandals resulting in not only criminal prosecutions of senior executives within the guilty firm, but severe financial loss or even dissolution of the corporation. Most of the ethical lapses within the corporations involved various accounting misrepresentations to cover fraudulent activities. The inherent risks in managing activities in multiple countries with different political systems and cultures pose other ethical challenges.
As part of his governance and control responsibilities, the CFO of GBATT has asked you to provide a brief overview of the ethical pitfalls to be avoided when managing risks in different countries with different political systems and cultures.
To complete the overview, do the following:
- Provide a brief description of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and recent anti-corruption efforts by International organizations.
- Identify and explain two or three serious consequences for the firm if it fails to comply with the FCPA and other anti-corruptions efforts. Discuss consequences beyond any statutory penalties.
By wednesday, October 1, 2014, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Assignment 2: Foreign Exchange Market
In this assignment, you will write a paper describing spot market and comparing foreign markets to the domestic market.
You work for an MNC where new management trainees are often required to travel internationally. A New Hire Handbook is provided to each of the incoming management trainees. The New Hire Handbook contains information about the corporation as well as some important policies and guidelines. Because of your academic credentials, the Senior Vice-President (SVP) of Human Resources (HR) has asked you to write a section for the handbook describing the foreign exchange market. She thinks this information will assist the new hires during international travel. You met with the SVP of HR to get more details on the assignment.
Since the handbook section you are to write is primarily to aid the new hires understanding exchange rates during travel, the SVP suggested you cover only spot market at this time.
You came away from the meeting with the following requirements for this assignment:
- Write a section for the New Hire Handbook describing the foreign exchange market. In this section, you will:
- Describe the spot market.
- Compare foreign exchange brokers and foreign exchange dealers.
- Distinguish the terms direct quotes, indirect quotes, and cross-rates.
- Provide an example of a cross-rate calculation, that is, calculate the cross-rate of Argentinean Peso to Euro.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least two-to- three scholarly sources in your research. Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use the APA format.
By Saturday, October 4, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M5: Assignment 2 Dropbox.