Inferential Statistics Article Critique
Read the article “Differential Effects of a Body Image Exposure Session on Smoking Urge Between Physically Active and Sedentary Female Smokers,” and identify the research questions and/or hypotheses as they are stated. Consider the following questions: What are the variables (sample sizes, population, treatments, etc.)? What are the inferential statistics used in this article? Were the proper steps of hypothesis testing followed?
Write a two- to three-page paper presenting the information listed below. Include a title page and reference page in APA style. Cite any references made to the article within the body of the paper in APA style. Your paper should begin with an introductory paragraph (including a thesis statement) and end with a concluding paragraph summarizing the major points made in the body of the paper and reaffirming the thesis. When writing the article critique, your paper must:
- Determine what question(s) the authors are trying to answer by doing this research.
- Determine the hypothesis being tested and the concepts that were applied in this process.
- Evaluate the article and critique the statistical analysis employed in the study.
- Would you have included more and/or different variables? Explain your answer.
- What would you have done differently in this case? Why?
You may access the Critical Thinking Community website for tips on how to formulate your thoughts and discussion of these questions in a logical and meaningful manner.
Writing the Article Critique
Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
4. When you are working on the Inferential Statistics Paper I want you to format your paper with the following information
5. I. Introduction – What are inferential statistics and what is the research problem and hypothesis of the article?
6. II. Methods – Who are the subjects and variables within the article?
7. III. Results – What is the statistical analysis used, why were these tests chosen? What were the results of these tests and what do they mean?
8. IV. Discussion – What were the strengths of this article? What would you have done differently in terms of variables and statistical analysis? Why?
9. V. Conclusion – Reiterate the introduction and include relevant information that answers the questions regarding the hypothesis.