1. Read Ch. 19-22 (pp. 326-393) in Supervision: Key Link to Productivity (8th ed.).
2. Discussion Question 1
- Due Date: Day 2 [Main] forum
- Read the following scenario: Dan is an employee at a regional mid-size computer
company that has recently been sold to a larger, national computer manufacturing
corporation. Dan is in charge of computer production orders, and because of this recent
shift in ownership, his department's day-to-day operations are about to change
drastically. Dan has been an employee of the mid-size company for 10 years, and thinks
that the current way of doing things in his department does not need any improvement.
- Post your response to these questions after reading the scenario: If you were Dan's new
supervisor, provide a method for how you would address the issue described above, and
justify the effectiveness of your solution. Why would Dan find your solution
effective/helpful? Why would your solution be effective/helpful from your perspective as a
- Read one of your classmate's responses to this discussion question. Provide them with
constructive feedback, offering suggestions to help them clarify and revise their solution.
Would the solution be useful in other situations, or is it specific to this one scenario? Why
or why not?
3. Discussion Question 2
- Due Date: Day 4 [Main] forum
- Read Exercise 18-1: What Is the Problem? on p. 322 in Ch. 18 in Supervision: Key Link
to Productivity (8th ed.).
- Post your response to these questions: Determine which of the approaches listed at the
end of the exercise that you-as a supervisor-would choose to take. Explain your
4. CheckPoint: Incident 18-1: Changes in an Employee's Behavior
Sometimes troubled employees will approach supervisors and ask about available resources
and methods for coping with their problems. More often, however, supervisors must
determine that an employee needs help, based on changes in that employee's behavior.