PART I: Short Response Questions
Directions: Please provide detailed and elaborate responses to the following questions. Your responses should include examples from the reading assignments, if possible. For each question, your response must be at least 100 words in length and utilize APA guidelines.
1. Describe the cardiovascular system. Begin by first identifying significant anatomical parts and explaining what role each organ plays in the overall system. Then, name important pathology that afflicts those particular anatomical parts just named. Also, choose which laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures would be used in compliance with that specific pathology.
2. Explain the workings of the digestive system. First, begin by identifying important anatomical parts and indicating what each organ is responsible for in the entire system. Next, specify any diseases or pathology that afflicts those specific anatomical parts just named. Then, select the laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures that would be used in compliance with that particular disease or pathology.
3. Examine the endocrine system. Start by identifying endocrine glands and explaining where each gland is located in the body system. Then, indicate any diseases or pathology, including common abbreviations that afflict those particular anatomical parts just named. After indicating the diseases or pathology, decide which of the laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures would be used in compliance with that specific disease or pathology.
PART II: Case Studies
Directions:Please carefully read the case studies and corresponding questions listed below, and compose a concise response using complete sentences. Be sure to utilize APA guidelines.
1. A 70-year-old man is admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure. He gives a history of angina pectoris of several yearsâ€™ duration, with recent exacerbation of symptoms, such as onset of left-sided chest pain after exercise and occasionally, dyspnea. The pain is usually relieved by ceasing the strenuous activity and placing nitroglycerin tablets sublingually. Hypertension may increase during the attack, and rrhythmias may occur. Considering the information listed above, please detail the patientâ€™s known history and which symptoms have recently been exacerbated.
2. A 72-year-old female presents with a complaint of a biopsy-proven adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon at 20 cm. History of Present Illness: The patient has been noted to have some bright, red bleeding intermittently for approximately 8 months, initially presumable on a hemorrhoidal basis. She recently has had intensification of the rectal bleeding but no weight loss, anorexia, or obstructive pain. No significant diarrhea or constipation. Some low back pain, probably unrelated. Recent colonoscopy by Dr. Scoma revealed a large sessile polyp, which was partially excised at the 20-cm level, showing infiltrating adenocarcinoma at the base. The patient is to enter the hospital at this time after home antibiotic and mechanical bowel prep, to undergo sigmoid colectomy and possible low anterior resection. Considering the information listed above, please detail the patientâ€™s previously diagnosed condition, the procedure that the patient had that led to the diagnoses of the patientâ€™s condition, and what procedure the patient is scheduled to have done.
PART III: Essay
1. Carefully review one of this moduleâ€™s required supplemental reading assignments, Association between maternal diabetes in utero and age at offspring’s diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. In your own words, state this studyâ€™s conclusion and explain step by step how the authors arrived at this conclusion. Your essay should be at least 500 words in length and utilize APA guidelines.